Category Manager, Thermarest Tents and Sleeping Bags, Cascade Designs Inc., 11/14 – 11/17
- Designed tents and sleeping bags optimized for technical mountaineering and outdoor enthusiasts. Partnered with sales and marketing teams to ensure products met brand objectives and price points.
- Developed technical product specification, set production timelines, reviewed prototype samples, communicated with vendor, and traveled to vendors to oversee first round production. Developed technical fabrics that were cutting-edge, safe, durable and comfortable.
- Selected overseas vendors and ensured social compliance. Did BOM analysis, negotiated costing, and inspected materials.
- Worked closely with the marketing team to provide a technical story through product features, specifications and regulatory standards
- Measured materials and products through safety and quality standards. Voluntary leadership participation in ASTM International, Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB), and Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) to direct tent, sleeping bag and backpack safety and quality standards process.
Senior Softgoods Designer, Cascade Designs Inc., 9/08 – 11/14
- Designed backpacks aligned with Platypus’s “water-proof, water-providing” brand objectives.
- Researched and selected fabrics, trims, colors and styling to develop innovative and backpack concepts.
- Established performance standards and test methods to ensure product quality.
Senior Product Line Manager, Patagonia Inc., 1/07 – 8/08
- Established overall creative and business direction for 3 seasons of Patagonia backpacks and travel gear.
- Led a cross‐departmental team to maintain design integrity from concept through commercialization.
- Introduced recycled fabrics to the pack and travel line.
Equipment Developer, REI (Recreation Equipment Inc.), 10/05 – 1/07
- Led product development process through vendor communication, lab work, and quality assurance prototype sample reviews.
- Developed technical sketches for each product. Built specifications for 38 backpacks during a 6‐month period referenced to as “year of the packs”.
Product Manager, Cascade Designs Inc., 8/01 – 10/05
- Managed tent product line and trekking pole product line, with a focus of product performance.
- Collaborated with marketing, sales, and purchasing to develop brand story, sales goals, and ordering.
- Traveled domestically and internationally to attend industry tradeshow and manufacturers.
Senior Tent Designer, Mountain Safety Research / Subsidiary of REI, 11/00 – 8/01
- Launched MSR Tents in 2001, currently over $20 million in global retail sales.
- Responsible for design, development of specifications, and sourcing materials.
- Oversaw manufacturing and quality of tent line with regular travel to Asia vendors.
- Led marketing team to develop appropriate print and web materials for all tent products.
Tent Designer, Edgeworks Incorporated / Subsidiary of REI, 11/99 – 11/00
- Responsible for project coordination of the 18‐model Moss tent line.
- Quality assurance and technical assembly advisor for domestic manufacturer.
- Partnered with vendors in China and Taiwan on design and manufacturing of products.
Service & Repair Coordinator, Walrus Incorporated / THAW / Subsidiary of REI, 11/97 – 11/99
- Created in‐house service and repair department and trained new employees.
- Handled product repairs, billing, customer service and processing of warranty repairs.
- Worked as design apprentice and liaison between consumer and the product development team.
- 2017 Gumption Gear Editor’s Choice – Thermarest Tranquility 6 Tent
- 2017 Fish Alaska Editors’ Choice – Thermarest Proton Blanket
- 2016 Mountain PRO (UK) Editor’s Choice – Thermarest Capella 32F Women’s Synthetic Sleeping Bag
- 2014 Gear Institute Best in Class – Thermarest Antares HD 20F Down Sleeping Bag / Mira 15F Hydrophobic Down Sleeping Bags
- 2013 Outdoor Trade Show Novel Award (UK) – Thermarest Mira HD 15F Women’s Down Sleeping Bag
- 2012 International Forum Design/OutDoor INDUSTRY AWARD (Germany) – Thermarest Antares HD 15F Down Sleeping Bag
- 2011 Outdoor Enthusiast Editor’s Choice(UK) – Platypus Origin 9 Hydration Backpack
- 2010 National Geo. Adventure Best of Adventure Gear – Thermarest Haven 20F Sleeping Bag
- 2010 OutDoor INDUSTRY AWARD – Platypus Origin Hydration Pack Line
- 2006 Backpacker Editors’ Choice – MSR Mutha Hubba 3 Person Tent
- 2005 – 2008 Best Selling Tent Brand - SNEWS Retailer Survey
- 2005 Consumers Digest Best Buy – MSR Hubba, Hubba Hubba, Wind 2 & 4 Tents
- 2005 Backpacker Editors’ Choice – MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Person Tent
- 2004 Backpacker Editors’ Choice – MSR Missing Link 2 Person Shelter
- 2003 Field & Stream Best of the Best – MSR Ventana Tent
ASTM Sub‐committee Chairman F08.22, Tents, Backpacks, and Sleeping Bags, 2007 – Current Collaborate with outdoor industry peers to develop and inform new standards for product safety and state regulations.
OIA Sustainability Working Group, Outdoor Industry Association Materials & Equipment, 2008 – 2012 Developed metrics for sustainable product for the recreational outdoor industry.
Mountaineers Courses Scramble, Basic Climbing (certificate), Intermediate Climbing, 1996 – 2006 Studied scrambling, mountaineering and ice climbing. Successfully climbed Rainier, Grand Teton, Baker, Adams, South Brother, Cruiser, and Warrior Peak. Attempted Aconcagua in 1999. Instructed new students in climbing, wilderness skills, crevasse and high-angle rescue methods.
Mountaineers, Freedom of the Hills
- Contributed to the tent chapter of Freedom 6
- Authored the sleeping bag chapter of Freedom 9
Education and Skills
Marietta College BA in Business, Leadership Certificate
Software Adobe CS, Rhinoceros 3D, Microsoft Office, 2000 – Current
Martial Arts Wing Chun Kung Fu, 1997 – Current